Work permit and stay back options after study in netherlands



 If you have already completed the course of your study in the Netherlands and are giving a thought to stay back in the country and search for jobs, the first and foremost thing you need to do is to do a small research on the visa and permit options available to you. This actually depends on two primary prerequisites and that is 

  • The duration
  • Your nationality
  • What you intend to do in the country post-study.

Stay Back and Work Permit in Netherlands

Firstly if you want to stay back for less than 3 months, looking up to pursue a short-term course or something similar, you might need a short-term visa. Applying for this at your nearest Dutch consulate will do the needful for you. If you plan to stay back in the Netherlands for more than a period of 3 months, there are few options for you and in that case, your nationality plays a pivotal part.


If you belong to the EU/EEA/Swiss country, you get an additional facility. You do not need to apply for any visa or stay permit. You just need to inform the immigration office. There is a registration process. You need to register yourself with the office if you are looking for staying back in this country post-study for longer than 90 days.


If you don’t belong to EU/EEA/Swiss country you might have multiple options but again this depends on what you actually want to pursue after the completion of your study. If you are appointed with a company, it is their duty and responsibility to apply for the stay permit on your behalf. In most cases, the company is also responsible to provide suitable proofs that they have not been able to find a suitable Dutch national for this particular position, and instead they have appointed you. But at the end of the day, you don’t need to be concerned about that as it’s totally their duty. But for all the students not belonging to EU/EEA/Swiss citizenship, a residence permit is a must. It might be tied up with your work permit here in the Netherlands till the period of completion of your work contract.


The Netherlands has been a very popular international study destination off late with its unique opportunities provided to the international students’ body. One such feature is the search or orientation year. This facility enables you to apply for a residence permit for this entire search year or the orientation year which is quite naturally valid for 1 year. As per the new regulation effective from 2016, an extended period of 3 years is available to apply for their job search year. The eligibility criteria are discussed below:

  • If you have completed Bachelors/ Master’s degree programs from a Dutch higher education institution,
  •  If you have completed a postgraduate course of a minimum 12-month duration in the Netherlands
  • If you are a Ph.D. graduate from a Dutch University

Sufficient Means of Support: you are required to provide proof that you are able to aid your stay financially with sufficiency. This proof is mandatory as per the norms of the immigration service of the Netherlands. In the course of staying back, if you are already appointed with a job, your visa needs to get changed to a relevant work permit.

Read Also:-

What to Expect When You Study in Netherlands

Application Process for UG and PG Courses in Netherlands

Top 5 Perks of Studying in Netherlands

About the Author:

Dhruv is Content Creator at Ǹ.com. He is fond of words and everything related to them. Writing about different things from around the world gives him immense pleasure, and a very healthy by-product is sharing the information and helping others in the process.

Categories: Netherlands

Apply Now!